Ear training suggestions?

Thanks. I think I’ll give TYE a try. Can’t hurt. Will keep you posted.

He is SO funny. So wonderfully nerdy and quirky! I watch a lot of his stuff. He’s entertaining but is knowledgeable and practical. Also makes me smile.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Another review

I’m glad I tracked down this thread.
I’ve been trying to find something related to ear training for mixing. I’ve found with instruments that ear training is one of the largest part of learning to play an instrument (much more than other theory or physically playing it.) So why do so many people say the best way to mix is to keep mixing?

the drawbridge between mix engineering and creative vision has been lowered. We see more and more mix engineers making creative decisions and these decisions can come extensively from experience. Training your ears to be be able to narrow down frequencies is a great plus no doubt, it allows you to form a mental picture of the mix just by listening to it. However, the downside of forming a premeditated picture of the stereo image is that it can lead to premeditated mixing decisions due to lack of experience. There is no short cut for experience.

I will quote an example here, I was recently working on a tribal mix… I listened to the mix and decided upfront that the cymbals and the tambourine were too dry and upfront, they were sort of demanding attention so I took a frequency axe to it… in doing so I realized later that I had taken the soul of a beautiful tribal song and turned it into a smooth karaoke like track. The heart of the song, the dryness, the struggle and the strain of the frequencies that was enriching the mix was lost