De-Esser Plugins

I just looked this one up. 32-bit only and not designed for Intel based Macs. Bummer.

I usually use Lisp by Sleepy Time DSP on mix, and use MEqualizer by Melda Production. All free stuffm yet does the job pretty well IMHO.

Yeah, the 32-bit issue is why I had to stop using it. Iā€™ve not really looked into the details as Iā€™m sure I have 32 bit plugs that run fine on my system, but for whatever magic technical reason none of the fishphones plugs do.

Other uses for De-essers;

• Taming bright crunchy guitars where only the loud bits are too bright.
  • Controlling the fret clank of bass guitar without getting rid of it
  • Reducing harshness on bright reverbs
  • Making your enemies sound like they have a lisp
3 Likes

You would only use a de-esser if the sibilance was too high Dave, we all want to actually hear the sibilance, we just donā€™t want it to slice our heads open. Try smashing the shite out of your vocals with 25db of gain reduction and youā€™ll see what I mean.

1 Like

Few things are for free in the Mac World. I would say try Lisp if you can run Windows 64 bit VST. It has automatic offending frequency finder, and all you need to adjust is how much you want reduced. Looks good, sounds good.

I like the ML8000, also have the ML4000, as well as the AE400 and AE600,
The latter of both Multiband Limiter and Active EQ plugins are just the latest version to me,
Bit of a quicker work flow, canā€™t remember the one or two things the later have / or do, that the prior doesnā€™t,
But I find each, prior and latter versions useful still,

If you donā€™t have the AE400 or AE600, give it a demo, you might like it, has a very tight Q and wide range of db ,
AE versions nice for a lot of things including de-essing,
ML versions mostly for over all mic / master, or issues wider range of frequency, vs tighter AE control,
Sometimes a little lower end, or that pushed mid range need to be controlled and these plugins can do it all at the same time,
Bit like the Fab PRoMB, or Tokyodawn TDR Nova Gentlemen edition (or free version is nice too) and Waves C6 ? lol,

just depends, someties a wide q works fine, other times just a bit of tight Q is all thats needed, usually a couple de-ess after compression,
like cut EQ > Compressor > De-ess > EQ > Compressor > De-ess (hopefully worse case scenario, lol) but can be pretty typical at times,

1 Like