Cover: Bohemian Rhapsody

Nothing to add that hasn’t already been said, but I will just say my hat’s off to you for even attempting this! Audacious to be sure, and if you gain some growth out of the effort, then that’s what matters. :smile: :tophat:

2 Likes

Thanks again guys. I was wondering if the lower key I chose could affect the listener’s perception of the song… Even for the majority of people who don’t have perfect pitch, when you have heard such a famous tune so many times I guess the ears are getting used to the original pitch and maybe hearing it 2 tones lower takes some of the power away… or am I just fantasizing?

1 Like

Nice play on words :smile:

That guy (@Lophophora) is really mad about covers! :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Can you believe I didn’t even write this on purpose? That song has really been running through my veins, I need to do something else now :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a hobbyist and music fan I find that enjoy covers. I like hearing other interpretations of a song that I like… and I like to hear others trying to replicate a song that I like. There’s a shared love for the song going on.

If I’m trying to do a cover myself, I find it’s like working on a sonic jigsaw puzzle where not only do I have to fit the pieces together but I have to manufacture the parts as well. It’s a great learning experience and if I can get even reasonable close to the ‘real thing’… I get quite a bit of satisfaction from the effort.

That being said… this cover is remarkable sonic puzzle, and I think it sounds great. The original may have been a bit more aggressive in the vocals and guitars especially. Still… this was a monumental effort and a great accomplishment.

1 Like

The only thing I noticed from that was that the vocal harmonies weren’t going to get as high, and as it was pointed out in the OP in the first place it was easy to listen to it with that in mind. Per other comments, I think you did a great job putting this together, and whatever you learned from doing it could be extremely beneficial.

The comparisons were inevitable, and I placed most of the emphasis on “song interpretation” per my earlier post. Mostly energy and emotion stood out. All the technical stuff was addressed very well.

1 Like

I love doing covers. I tend to focus on tunes hardly anyone has ever heard of, and putting my own take and spin on them rather than duplicating what the original artists did, because that’s what floats my boat. But I sure can see the value in trying to do a close duplication–have done it too (but again with much less well known tunes). If one learns and grows, then that’s the bottom line :smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your feedback, the (re-)writer got an amazing job to recreate all those audio pieces :blush:

I think that some different vocal hamonies could fit that part best… I don’t really have clue if it would :confused:

That’s part of the interpret’s wishes to he reached his goal :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply, it was the initial goal.
@Lophophora did some others, with various artistic point of views.

Thanks, I enjoyed listening, well done.

Makes me want to sing along.

Thought about a karaoke version?

1 Like

Thanks for your comment!
Nice idea by the way, do you wanna sing along? :blush:

This kind of nails it in my opinion. The recording and performances are all very good, and definitely show a lot of talent. It just kind of sounds like you’re being too careful with everything, and losing the attitude of the song at the expense of doing it right. For instance, while the harmony at the beginning is very well done, the phrasing is very straight, whereas the original has a bit more movement to it, which helps with building the tension and release. It’s really just one of those tunes where you can’t win trying to cover it, so it would be far easier to figure out a way to make it your own than to perfect it.

With all that said, it’s very apparent that you put a lot of time into it, and did a great job of recording and performing, so if you had fun and learned from it, it’s a great accomplishment, and I’m sure lots of people would like to hear some of your own stuff. Sometimes the conviction the listener hears is more important than the polish of the performance. Thanks for posting, great job, put up some more stuff.

1 Like

This is a great example of how to cover a classic song, put your own stamp on it, and do it justice…

You have not detracted from the original. I know the song off by heart, and I had no inclination to play it after listening to your own cover!

Singers always try to emulate Freddie’s and Queen’s vocals when covering Bohemian Rhapsody, and I liked the fact you guys didn’t! You gave it a more choral arrangement that was different but respectful, and not detracting from the original!

The bass was quite Deacon-esque, but there’s no other way to play it, and I was glad the guitarist didn’t fancy himself as a Brian May!

Overall a great mix and production… I don’t have the gear or time to carry out such projects myself so I have the greatest respect to those that have the time and use it productively :grin:

I want to sing the lead!

Mama ohoohoo.

You should have a contest to find the next FM!

Yeah, that’s the ticket.

There’s a guy in a christian band that I swore was a reincarnation.

Many thanks to ncls who provided me with 5 pages of mixing and production notes, including detailed advice and instructions on how to fix the mix. I came up with an update that includes a lot of changes. I hope it is indeed better than the first version.

And thanks to StylesBitchley, Ailwyn and tacman7 for your recent feedback!

2 Likes

You are more than welcome :grin:

1 Like

You’re welcome, it’s very well done.

1 Like

I think the piano sounds way better in the new version. Same with the guitars.

Thanks for your feedback, that is indeed the biggest part of the rework. Grand piano replaced by an upright, and guitar amp sims reset from scratch.