Bash this Song and Recording

Thanks Paul.

I wasn’t planning on putting vocals to this but who knows, maybe I will decide to put lay a vocal down for this in the future.

Some good ideas there Jon-Jon. I definitely would like to shorten the song. I’m not too confident in my ability to use envelopes and splicing in Reaper but like you said, it’s digital and non-destructive. I guess I could always make a copy of the song and do my experimenting on the copy.

its not hard though. right click and “split at cursor” etc

ive cut whole sections out of songs and u cant even tell it lol. Some of what I suggested wouldnt be hard because there arent licks overlapping the bars etc

1 Like

Sounds cool - I like it! Really my cup of swill :grin:

I’m not going to comment on the arrangement or the writing, as much as been said about that already. Mixwise, it needs some work to stop the buildup of mud and boxiness and balance the high end with the low end better.

You have a buildup around 115, and another big one at 180hz and at 370hz. There is also a broad lack of midrange in your mix centred around 800hz and extending up to about 1.5k. Also the highs and high mids are lacking from about 2.5k up.

The issue sounds like low/low mid buildup in the guitars bass and drums, and not enough midrange/high midrange in your guitar tones. The drums could also use more brightness. You’d be best to fix these issues at the track level on the individual elements, as this will achieve a much more natural sound.

Here’s a little sample of what I did simply by eq’ing the stereo mix. Here’s what the eq looked like:

Here’s what that sounded like:

3 Likes

This is a great post! Very useful and informative. Thanks for taking the time to explain things in detail. I really appreciate it !

My biggest concern about this song is the mud.and the word that you used , (“boxiness”) is right on the button. That’s the perfect word to describe what I’m hearing.

The visual sample you put up helps me to get a better mental picture of how I should approach the eq for this recording. I’m going to go back and eq each individual instrument with your advice in mind. The eq you did on the stereo mix definitely brought clarity to the music and cleaned a lot of the boxiness. Thanks so much !

Thank you to everyone who commented and shared your advice here. I appreciate your help!

okay, for us dummies, how did you come to these conclusions? Going by ear mainly or are you using a spec analyzer or other method?

Thanks, JJ

Mainly by ear, but referencing plays a big role in that process.

For example, just comparing the Joe Satriani mix you posted with the OP’s mix on a decent studio speaker system should reveal some obvious overall frequency differences on a half-decent listening system. I think I referenced a Joe Bonnamassa track.

When I listen to a track and analyse it, it’s 4 steps:

1. Listen through and mentally propose and take note of what the issues are.
  2. Find a comparable pro reference mix, level-match it and compare side-by-side to the mix in question, switching back and forth.
  3. Switch on a Frequency analyser and see if the analysis visually confirms the issues previously proposed.
  4. Grab an eq, sweeping around the problem frequencies, and try to improve the track to better fall into line with the frequency response of the reference track(s). Usually, at this point, I’m also using the frequency analyser in tandem with the eq to flatten out the frequency response somewhat, while still allowing for the Equal Loudness Contours (Fletcher-Munson) response pattern of human hearing, as well as any natural frequency bumps caused by the arrangement/instrumentation.

So yes, mainly ears, but eyes also.

2 Likes

not to completely derail the thread (im going to start another thread, please come comment when I do)…but my current reality is basically I do 99% of my listening on headphones. how is that going to affect this process?

1 Like

I think most audio engineers/ mixers will tell you that headphones will exaggerate certain frequencies and create audio illusions that you won’t hear in non-headphones listening situations. Some people believe you can learn to mix accurately/ properly with headphones if you have the right cans. I don’t really know if there’s an absolute “yes” or “no” answer but I tend to believe you can do it if you learn which frequencies your headphones exaggerate or neglect. You might have to do a bunch of remixes and listen to them on other sound systems before you get it right but most of us home recording guys have to do that anyway. Actually, most pros do that too. They’ll check how their mixes translate on a cheap car stereo or on inexpensive computer speakers.

I like it. It reminds me of something my alter ego would play! Maybe create a bit more arrangement and variation after the second verse to keep it interesting but I am definitely a fan. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for listening and commenting, gredd. :+1:

I wrote this song just for something to use as a test for my new Scarlett interface and to learn how to operate Reaper (at that time). It really wasn’t a tune that I was serious about, but I did try to do it justice with my performance and note choices. There was no real thought put into the arrangement though. I doubt I’d ever go back to revisit this song but it’s a possibility.

Most of my songs have vocals and I have instrumental songs that I like much more than this one. At the moment I have well over 10 songs that are partially recorded, with the guitars, bass and vocal melodies completely written, with only about 50% of the lyrics finished…, and my biggest concern is the arrangements, as well as the unfinished lyrics.

I’m a bit overwhelmed with all of the other songs I’ve written that I haven’t even begun recording yet. I’ve got well over a thousand songs but I’m only somewhat serious about 80 to 300 of them. There’s too many songs and too little time! This has been a problem for many, many years now…and as I continue writing, I am falling further behind. I love writing songs but I fret about every little detail when I’m recording and arranging them…, especially the songs that I think are good. So, recently I’ve decided to be an “imperfectionist” and just demo my songs, instead of trying to get a full blown “radio ready” product. The demos will help me decide what needs changing , fixing, revising …, and what songs I should just forget about putting too much effort into. Maybe I’ll throw another one of my tunes on this forum for a bashing.