Bash me – Out of Myself

aw jeez… I just need analog goodness/ badness in the plugins that I want to pay for, I already have stuff thats really good at the basics, and a tilt eq is pretty basic…

If a certain Tilt EQ plugin also did the PulteQ magic trick, plus sounded cool, in a unique way, I might be tempted. Waves just seem to be very good at the emulation of analog hardware thing.

I have no other interest in them.

So now I’m confused. I actually didn’t cut the kick at all at 50-60. In fact, I boosted it…

53%20PM

I thought you meant the bass, cuz I did cut that at about 60 Hz, and boosted at 176 and 500 and 3K:

17%20PM

Okay, so I did a few things…

Added the pultec to the kick and also sidechained the bass to the kick (am I saying that right? Or other way around?) . :slight_smile: Anyway, you are right about the pultec (SonEQ): it adds a nice “thump” to the kick. I like it.

I also lost the boost on the bass in the low mids. Dropped the bass volume a touch and added more harmonics (RBass).

Am I moving in the right direction?

Yikes, ok. Yes, you are moving forward, for sure.

So…

Just give me a mono bass line PLUS all the stereo drums combined, all six minutes of it - on a stereo track.

I will then process it and you can try it back in your track.

Obviously I’m going to SUCK… with no reference track to work with, against yours, but i can deal with it. :slight_smile:

Oh, and I would consider TILTING the kick drum sound FIRST to fix the top end and mid-range of the kick drum, and getting THAT right… almost completely ignoring the bottom end note.

Once you are good with all the low end group compression in all the tracks in your song…, just fix the 50-60 Hz thing in the kick drum, edit it and then feed it back in.

Ok Tesgin,

I checked in again on your mix, compared to mine, anyway… and you probably also want a little more equal impact (low end weight) between kick and snare., your mix was a little (ass)/kick heavy, snare light, …its ok to be completely top end heavy, but only in disco, lol.

Anyway, if you want me to send you the fixed bass track, just do it now, send me what you have right now…

Okay, sending them over in just a few moments.

Do you, perchance, happen to have the vst’s in the wave bundle? I’m just thinking that, If possible, I’d LOVE it if you were able to mix with the same plugins I use, so I could see what you’re doing exactly.

Files are uploading to wetransfer. Sending a link in just a few moments.

So, when I listen to my bass in isolation (the wave file I’ll be sending you), I’m recognizing some “bomminess” that I wasn’t hearing, but I think you were, in the full mix. Outside of that, I’m liking the EQ and tone of the bass.

The drums are always tough for me - especially these - cuz lousey raw data. Poorly EQ’d and tons of bleed.

As I’m listening to the drums in isolation, I’m hearing that the snare could be louder relative to the kick. The kick is boomier than originally cuz of the pultec thing you suggested. Is it just that it’s too much? should I just scale that back (I guess that’s basically the tilt suggestion you made, right?)?

Ah, at last! Here’s the link: https://we.tl/t-sAbJvLdUjv

I’m logging off for a bit to get some time with my wife. Will check in before I hit the hay.

Again, thanks, Vaughan. Love learning from you.

BTW, I think you messaged me a while back that you’re not mixing much professionally any more? Am I remembering correctly? Do you do mastering professionally?

GOT it…

yay, lets play more music… AMAZINGLY.

So I just did this… you made me multi- track it :roll_eyes:
don’t even know if its good… oh well, let me know tomorrow…

So tired im posting it anyway…

i guess I fixed all the midrange on this one

ok, sounds the same as it did last night to me… except I maybe like the balance slightly better than the mastering I did in post #10, maybe not the tone… but its still slightly midrangey, less full range, but also less cool…

1 Like

Ok, Tesgin… your post in #12 of this thread is actually getting pretty close to my last one in #30 - that means we are on the right track…

1 Like

Nice, Vaughan. Yeah, I really like the balance in the last mix. The drums in the beginning sound muffled though. Not as crisp as your mastering version in #30.

Your #30 is my favorite of all of the above. Dang, I wish I could do that!

ah ok, Im so braindead when I get home, not very coherent at all.

so lets just try this instead… its from 3 tracks… how difficult could that be?

no mastering yet, just a 2 track mix.

Sounds pretty good on my monitors ,Good balance .The vox for me are a bit loud at times and could do with a bit more weight i feel.,Good work

1 Like

ok, i will work with that… 3 dbB of weight onto the vocal/ all instruments track (about 640Hz), plus an overall reduction of 1.5dB in volume to that track… yep sounds pretty good, consider yourself hired :blush: