Tip of the Week ideas

Tip of the Week ideas
0.0 0

Ahh yes - I have a bunch of animals-in-the-studio stories… I did have a memorable battle with rats in the ceiling … peeeeooooo [grimace]

My tips:

• 5 Ways to cynically exploit ukuleles to increase your ‘peace/love/mung beans’ hipster audience for fun and profit.
  • 3 Creative ways to record ukuleles being smashed
  • Musicial Activism: Ban the Uke?
  • 6 reasons why ukuleles are the spawn of the devil
  • 10 reasons why ukuleles are a psychologically damaging gift for 5 year olds who just want to play real guitars

Just add some whistling and a celesta.

Mwah ha h hahahahahahahahah

Who and how would this thread be monitored? Some one would have to care take of the workflow, which tip gets attention and when. short & sweet would be easiest to manage - some folks here have already proposed some topics Emma has some good ones, even humorous. Jonathan too.
We don’t necessarily have to compare with other sites or magazines - we can be unique to IRD. just short and simple where the information is easy to review - the comment reply’s can go the way they’ll go - that’s the interactive nature of spontaneity.
Monitoring the thread could be rotative, so one person isn’t tied down to it. just establish a list of folks who are willing (voluntary) to supervise the thread say a month at a time - if someone gets busy with life and living he can notify the others on the list to take over. If we can keep from being tied down it may work.
Your thoughts?

After looking into it some more, I think the DAW thing (on exclusive features) is going to be a bit much. I was looking at stuff PT lacked, and they added four big ones a few months ago. You can freeze midi tracks, bounce/render/flatten in place, crossfade on batch exports, and ‘blue’ mode for re-recording.

So as fast as the Reaper guys in particular are making updates, you could easily have an article outdated within weeks of publishing it. I’m thinking workflow and how to play an instrument tips maybe more future proof.

I don’t envision it being a single thread. That would be a mess. It could be a section, where each “tip” is it’s own thread. Then the threads can go off on whatever tangent they want. New tip, new thread.

Or make it an article, but I think articles aren’t good for discussion.

Ok that’s taking shape, what frequency - weekly - bi weekly - monthly?

When Brandon had his make-a-new-thread phase, it was a bit loopy but traffic really built up.
We could try it out just for fun (?) - see who comes out of the woodwork…
Essentially that is just everyone taking responsibility for throwing up new ideas on a more regular basis…
sound bites… tantalising ideas like how to get the best sounds out of your soprano ukelele
hehe

yes, but Brandon did have an email list to spread the word on that. As far as I know, we don’t have a IRD mailing list, so the only people who would see it are those who are already on here, which is like 5 of us.

OK, what does it take to develop an email list?

I believe when you sign up (register) for IRD, you have to give an email address, which is how you then receive notifications from threads when someone replies to one of your posts or “calls” your username (i.e. at-username). Those will all be stored in a database in the forum software or website files. So it may just be a matter of pulling those up and using MailChimp or something to send out a newsletter. IIRC the way Brandon handled it is you had to actually “sign up” for the newsletter by clicking a checkbox in your user profile. I think it was ‘on’ by default and you could turn it off if you wanted. That’s a good idea for user “opt out”, though I don’t know if it’s a requirement by law in this case. On the positive side, sending a newsletter to all registered users might bring some people back into the fold … on the other hand, some might find that annoying (since there was no opt in or out) and cancel their forum membership.

As to the opt-out thing, I believe MailChimp or other software handles this with a link at the bottom that says “unsubscribe”, so sending out the first newsletter may be covered under forum membership, and then the option to unsubscribe to the newsletter offers the legal/ethical option. I think by giving an entity your email address you are agreeing to receive emails.

You might also consider sending out a survey of members with MailChimp, asking questions about the direction of the forum, what do people want or not want, how do they use the forum, etc. Then collate all the replies into a usable report. Those things can help a lot when you have many diverse opinions about how things should be done or handled.

Excellent, the work is already done, just a matter of implementing it. Brandon must have had people to consult with, seems he had a head for moving stuff forward, [quote=“Stan_Halen, post:32, topic:1665”]
the way Brandon handled it is you had to actually “sign up” for the newsletter by clicking a checkbox in your user profile. I think it was ‘on’ by default and you could turn it off if you wanted.
[/quote]

That to me is a fair method to go by. If folks find the news letter annoying Opt out I think we should focus on the members who want to be here. let’s work with what we’ve got.
Stan you seem to have a good understanding of these procedures.[quote=“Stan_Halen, post:32, topic:1665”]
As to the opt-out thing, I believe MailChimp or other software handles this with a link at the bottom that says “unsubscribe”, so sending out the first newsletter may be covered under forum membership, and then the option to unsubscribe to the newsletter offers the legal/ethical option. I think by giving an entity your email address you are agreeing to receive emails.
[/quote]

Anything else you think we should look at? Is there a cost for this service? Can the software the site is running on handle it?
Surveys are a good idea, the word survey just turns me off though maybe it could have a different name, Preference Rating or something.
We’ve touched on quite a few topics concerning this subject from Tip of the week to a news letter
A clearer definition of what can be possible is taking shape. A few more ideas, a little bit of fine tuning won’t be long, we can get there from here.

Are we just talking here or will something come of this?

I have an email list. :wink:

As I mentioned, all I need is the content. I can take it from there, unless someone is excited about taking that on also. I’d work that out with someone. No problem.

AFAIK almost everything was done by Brandon. He had an intern/assistant for a little while, that he delegated some things to, but I think the newsletter was well before that. It was pretty straight forward, usually featured a Thread of the Week that was the most interesting, informative, or helpful. A few other mentions of other things going on, and promotion of one of Brandon’s products if he had anything going on at the time.

For a good while, Brandon wrote a forum article almost every week, and the article frequently was the feature of his newsletter. That takes discipline and consistency. I’m sure he made himself write an article weekly so his newletter would have content. The point of the newsletter is kind of moot if there’s nothing to say. The content should somewhat create itself through intentional forum content or at least featuring user content. RecordingReview also had a prolific blog feature which was associated with the forum and was used by many members, not just Brandon. He would frequently feature a good blog article by a member.

I remember when I got involved with RR it showed like 86,000 users/members at that point, and it continued to grow. Now, many of those had come and went, but my point is there was a large user base. IRD shows 261 users/members as of today. There have been a grand total of 2 articles written on the forum in it’s 8 months of existence.

Brandon was about the most irreverent, poor spelling, bad grammar, insulting SOB you could ever meet. But people liked him. :grin: I don’t know if he considered himself a natural writer or if he just decided to make himself a writer, but yeah he just got in there and did it and didn’t seem to care what anybody thought (maybe he actually did, and the thick skin was a decoy :penguin:).

I also remember that members who hadn’t been around for awhile would suddenly show up the day the newsletter went out (or the day after). Especially if there was some cool new news. If a mixing contest had been announced, there would be a big RUSH. It was like clockwork. The newsletter reminds people to check in. And Brandon would go in spurts of lots of commenting on lots of threads (in his irreverent spouting way), or not much at all. The forum would be a roller-coaster depending on his participation. It was a Cult of Personality in many ways. It was exciting.

Is it tied to mailchimp (or some other email service) or is it just stored here on the site? If you try sending out emails through your own server, you can get blacklisted pretty quickly. There should be a way to sync your signups here with an email service.

I have a MailChimp account :+1:

We can certainly borrow from his achievements to get going here. It’s the best example we know of. Imitation is the highest form of flattery I’ve heard.

We can discuss what kind of Personality effect we would like to be imaged for this site. There are two sides to a coin, some more desirable than others. But think about it, it’s taking 5 or 6 of us just to do what he did alone. The guy had hustle.
We owe this man our RESPECT. End of story!

We’re a go then!
Should we summarize what we have for content, to see what we have, for agreement purposes??? Fine tune from there.
In a sense we are complementing @holster ‘‘My vision for this site’’ thread. Seems to be related I think.