Well it’s been a long time since my last post for bashing (I think it was Funky Fever which was my entry for the 50’s mixing competition). Main reason being endless hassles with my computer. It’s still not working as it should be (can’t load my Waves plugins for instance and latency and/ or crackles are worse than this relatively fast computer should be able to handle). But let’s not get into that now.
Here’s a song I wrote around Christmas time when it was cold, dark and rainy outside and I had a spell of feeling my age (and what’s to come). But also the good things of life like 2 daughters almost simultaneously expecting babies (they were born within 10 days of each other) - both fine and healthy. Anyway I finally finished the recording with almost all active plugins turned off. After that I did a quick mix to get a first impression. The vocals are probably a bit too prominent and I could back off the ‘vocal air trick’ (separate track with a copy of the lead vocal which you high pass at about 6 K smashed to pieces and further enhanced with an exciter and then subtly mixed in with the original). I guess the drums could be a little bit more up front. My wife said the change from the horns solo to the second verse was too abrupt. She may be right. And I’m quite curious what you think of the horns section. It’s new for me, I only got the horns around Christmas.
I put a limiter on the mix bus which I’m not familiar with and probably overdid that a bit too. The real mix has to be done from scratch. I’m hoping you might come up with some things I need to change before getting into the mixing stage.
So: please bash away!
An update with a few tweaks here and there, and… where I replaced every compressor I used with my newly acquired Boz Manic Compressor!
On second thoughts, the one I made just before changing every compressor to Boz sounds a bit more balanced and less muddy. It was quite late at night, and I should have stopped before doing something silly like that. Still like the compressor though!