Interested in promoting your services?

Interested in promoting your services?
0.0 0

It’s a bit of a chicken/egg scenario though. Do we offer some services/stuff on here and then invite others in (songwriting contest for example), or do we invite them in, stir up interest and then offer solution(s)?

I’ve run into the same kind of thing with my guitar shop. Do I add more selections and hope that stirs more interest in people buying, or do I wait until they are asking for more?

Either way, it seems like we already have some ideas on the table to consider. Even if it’s not the direction we want to go, it can solidify some things. The cool thing is that I already saw a couple responses from our own group here that there would be interest in utilizing this (not just posting their own service, but actually using it) and we haven’t even started seeking more folks to have around here yet. :thumbsup:

Maybe a topic for a song could start it rolling. The song will be about rainbows? Or a line like “I’m standing on the border of” etc ha ha

A song-writing contest is a brilliant idea to get musicians onto the site. No matter if the “services” is ready or not, a song writing contest would/could get more eyes on the forum. Then a mixing contest with the winning song. Very clever!

I already have my RR Certified Badass coffee mug. I think it was a reward for 3000 posts or something. But that means I’m already in the club, right? :sunglasses:

Absolutely!! :metal::sunglasses::metal:

Then again, it all depends on the services you plan to provide :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As I said, you should work out exactly how you’re going to ‘invite others in’ or ‘stir up interest’ before you discuss anything else, otherwise it will all be a waste of time and effort.

I love the idea of a songwriting contest with some simple requirement. E.g, has to mention a horse or a train or a car or the ocean or some other simple concept. If that helps drive this brainstorm in some productive way, fabulous!

One comment on the whole rating/assessment aspect though. It’s really up to the reader/browser/buyer to do the due diligence and not rely on ostensibly objective (but they never are) ratings by others. Use those as a starting point, sure, natch. But then follow up, have a conversation, explore whether it’s the right fit. Like we’d do in the flesh-and-blood world. Not everything lends itself to picking things off a dropdown list. So yeah, don’t overdo it on that stuff.

Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation… :moneybag:

Or … outer space, planets, rockets, spacecraft, Moon rocks. :pensive: C’mon Dr NASA, I’m not even in your line of business and that was a no-brainer for me. :smirk:

(you know I could totally not resist that one :sunglasses:)

I specialize in Certified Badass services, of course. :wink:

@Stan_Halen… Certified purveyor of substantial badassery :+1:

That would have been… ya know… futile. :nerd:

OK, but I started that idea first above…tee hee

Maybe a topic for a song could start it rolling. The song will be about rainbows? Or a line like “I’m standing on the border of” etc ha ha

I love the idea of a songwriting contest, mostly because I know I’d lose and I know it’s something I want to get better at doing. Can we team up? Nobody wants to hear me sing.

wait wait WAIT. Can we do a team contest of some sort? That wold be a great (and very hard) assignment. Working with people and making the best use of each other’s strengths.

That’s a very interesting idea. Although it brings back memories of the grade school playground, where I was always the last kid picked… :nerd:

Mexico? :wink:

“Donald’s wall is big and tall, Trumpty Dumpty had a great fall
All Russia’s ambassadors and all of Putin’s men
Couldn’t put Trumpty, together again.”

I can see it being a Latino rap song. :neutral_face:

Ha ha That was really very good. made my morning…so less boring

I was thinking about this. If there is a songwriting contest it could be mandatory that you collaborate with at least one other person on the forum. Maybe there would be a loose subject matter like someone else suggested. This would prevent someone like @Danny_Danzi from submitting an already recorded awesome song that is well produced and kicking all our butts outright:) Not that he would do that… He may kick our butts but he’d do it legitimately. :slight_smile:

I was thinking about this. If there is a songwriting contest it could be mandatory that you collaborate with at least one other person on the forum. Maybe there would be a loose subject matter like someone else suggested. This would prevent someone like @Danny_Danzi from submitting an already recorded awesome song that is well produced and kicking all our butts outright:) Not that he would do that… He may kick our butts but he’d do it legitimately. :slight_smile:

LMAO! I was drinking coffee when I read this and spit it all over the place! I soo needed that…thanks! Though I doubt that would happen even if I did post something, it’s nice to know you think that highly of me. :slight_smile:

If I could make a suggestion? Sometimes…original material can take a little bit more time to do due to the nature of the writing process or sometimes…a person may not be totally inspired. Then again, of course I’d not be opposed to it if those willing to participate actually participate. :wink:

What sometimes happens in this situation, (I know this from real life as well as my online collaborations with others) you get one guy that sort of gets stuck with the brunt of everything and this can sometimes be a downer. It can also take more time to accomplish.

For example, for me personally…when I’m testing out gear or need to do some sort of representation of something rather quickly, it never fails for me to redo a cover in my own image. Most of the time, it’s a no brainer because the chords and stuff have already been supplied and just about anyone can add their “flair” in a timely fashion, know what I mean?

It would definitely speed things up…and still show case production skills without being a burden on certain members that may not be writing machines. I’ve always loved redoing covers. Maybe that could be an idea since everyone could take part and not have to go nuts thinking of writing actual parts. Then again, the “redo” thing can be a challenge in itself…but one that I have often enjoyed.

I recently did a cover of Deep Purple’s “Perfect Strangers” in my own way that I’m in love with. Not due to any production values, as it was a test on all new gear because I just built a new studio…but because I’ve been smoke free for nearly 4 years and actually sang something good for a change! LOL! Production ended up a little bass light and “small” with a poppy sound…had to get used to the new room, gear and the fact that the bass I hear is actually real…so I don’t have to dumb it down thinking it’s too much like in the past.

But anyway…just something to consider that may take a little extra pressure off of guys that may not be used to writing from scratch. Either way is great…but the easier and more appealing we can make it, the more people just may take part. Just a suggestion. :slight_smile:

I would be all over a cover contest!! Love that idea. :slight_smile:

wow thanks for the kind words :slight_smile: I havent had the chance to read everything yet but i will. Very interesting ideas i’m seeing right now.