Do any of you guys still have the PDF for the KHR setup guide?

Do any of you guys still have the PDF for the KHR setup guide?
0.0 0

I agree. For me it would be Nr 3

I could help with the layout part of the text. I’m pretty ok with making structures and category’s and such, but in making actual topics I’m not gonna be of much help.

I would love to see a big library of information about recording. Where you can type in a search word, or go through a catalogue and easily find your answers.

for instance:

Control room:

• acoustics
  • gear
  • etc

Life room:

• acoustics
  • gear
  • etc

Tracking:

• drums
  • bass
  • guitar
  • etc

Mixing:

• drums
  • bass
  • etc

This way you can make it very simple to find you problems. Is it a tracking question involving bass, just go to tracking > bass etc… You wanna know what are good pc parts, or compressors, look in the control room section under gear/… etc. This would be so awesome, and would be very useful on the go. If you’re tracking a band, and just cant remember what where good solutions to a problem you are having atm, you can simply go into the library and find it easily.

Like I said, I wanna help in making the category’s and layout if we’re doing this :slight_smile:

You’re exactly right on all points :slight_smile:

My objective in gathering KHR info was mostly to have a starting point. A basic framework that many have enjoyed in the past.
What I envisioned was having a similar resource, but available on the site rather than a PDF book. @DeRebel is actually thinking along the same line that I was on the setup. I was just thinking of having a resource here that we can point beginners to when they are getting started. More of a stripped down version that can easily read online. It would still be quite a time consuming project but, @DeRebel, if you’re into helping, I’d be happy to have the help!

Sure, if you (as in you guys) provide the info, I don’t mind structuring it.
But if you make it an online read, Isn’t it kinda difficult to make subcategory’s and surfing between them easy ?

Is it possible to integrate a page on this site where you have some sort of a drop folder system like windows explorer has on the left side of the window ? So instead of maps you see topics, and if you click on one that has sub topics, it rolls open the other options, until you click on the topic you are looking for, and it rolls open a page of information.

Control room:

• Isolation
  • Acoustics
  • Gear
  • Monitors
  • PC
    - 1 - Motherboard
    - 1 - 2 - CPU
    - 1 - 2 - 3 - minimum requirements (actual topic)
    - 1 - 2 - 3 - Compatibility (actual topic)
    - 1 - 2 - 3 - AMD or Intel (actual topic)

Here you’l see the page with the information about amd or intel chips

- 1 - Memory
- 1 - etc

• MAC
  • pre-amp
  • compressors
  • etc
    Live Room
    Recording
  • Gear
  • Tips and tricks
  • etc (you get the idea :stuck_out_tongue: )
    Mixing
    Mastering
    Publishing
    Legal

If it’s going to be purely text based, it needs to be set up in a way that anyone can quickly search the content and find what they need, but should also be the kind of thing where people can just read through it? I think the one page with drop nested down text makes sense in this case right? Or is that cumbersome to work with? I can’t think of a time where I’ve read through a lot of information that was set up in this way, so I don’t have any first hand experience on how it feels on a large scale.

Let’s see.

Setting up your Junk

This is text that would tell you how to plugin in a microphone and which direction to hold your mouse.

Nested text

Is this nested? kind of.

How to mic a vocal

Always cup your microphone and dance around the room while recording vocals

I’d probably set up this kind of thing on the wordpress side of the site. Also, those recording tips are top notch!! :wink:

Well, I don’t have much experience reading a lot of info like this either, but like where I work (prison) we have a few computers where we can watch life video feed from all the camera’s that are installed in the prison, and it are A LOT. And it is also filed in that kind of way. Its very easy to find the right one.

If I where to search for this one, in this structure
Control room
Life room
Recording
Mixing
etc

I would go to Recording/Vocal/mic’s/mic placement
Click on that last one, a page would drop and voila. If I then think " wait a minute, am I using the right mic? " I could just go back 1 or 2 steps to “Recording/Vocal/Mic’s/different type’s of mic’s” and voila, I could read on.

Personally, as a guy who gets irritated with bad sites and illogical structuring pretty easily, I would like to see this kind of thing put in place. Its intuitive AND, you don’t need to make (and afterwards read through) an index of a few pages long.

I agree with Boz that trying to use KHR would be a huge undertaking without much benefit to properly branding this site. If it was to be used, it would need to be boiled down to its very essence. Throughout KHR, you are told that learning to use your head instead of your wallet to develop your skills was the most important thing you could do. If this site wholeheartedly agrees with that approach, great, use it. It doesn’t take hundreds of pages to get that point across. As far as setup goes, again, the process has probably become more straightforward, and the basic theme is that monitors and room treatment should be higher on the priority list than shoving a Neve console into your 10 x 10 bedroom while you are getting started.
Maybe adding a Troubleshooting category to the site would eliminate the need for much of the Setup Guide Brandon labored over, and some of the people who want to promote their expertise could meet a few potential clients by properly answering some of the questions that pop up. This would also apply to teaching the basic skills needed to get going, while showing what they are capable of in Bash This Recording.
In short, Brandon’s personality was a big part of RR, and his writing reflected his personality, but frankly I learned a lot more on RR and this site by hanging around on Bash This Recording, and had tons of fun just interacting with people.
This site needs to concentrate and cultivate its own personality. It’s off to a good start, but there are times where it seems like the activity level drops quite a bit, and figuring that out should be a higher priority than KHR unless you can get a volunteer to take this on.

Yes. The idea was to strip it down to the essence. It’d be cool if we could basically do a wikipedia version of it that folks can openly contribute to but have a team of “admins” that approve changes, etc. Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s what comes to mind.
I agree, it IS off to a good start and we DO need to have our own personality for sure. The KHR thing isn’t so much about keeping that alive as much as it was about building a modified/online version of it to draw more beginners in. How that would look is still completely open at this point.

I’d love to see us all team up to make a resource like this, so feel free to add any suggestions. Also, any of you that are web savvy that would like to help build it are appreciated too!

_How that would look is still completely open at this poin_t.

As I was getting started KHR helped in terms of figuring out what questions to ask. I think now there are so many video tutorials available for beginners that links to the good ones, or ones sponsored by the site, would be the way to go. I started out with Cubase, and when I had a problem I would look in the index of the manual for a solution, and eventually read most of the manual completely out of sequence. Now that I’m using Reaper, I can just go through the tutorials on their site and learn as I go. My biggest issue has always been troubleshooting, and I get pretty impatient when I can’t figure something out, and solving a beginner’s problems quickly might be a good way to build a loyal following.
Everyone is doing a good job on this site, it’s really just a matter of figuring out where you want to go with it.

Hi guys. Is Brandon’s KHR Silver Edition still possible to purchase? I just hope I’m not that too late to join the bandwagon =)

I’m afraid the wheels fell off that band wagon late last year…
Brandon has long gone and left not a trace of merchandise behind.

I have messages out to @brandondrury in hopes that we can get permission to continue offering at least a version of that in some way. However, it would certainly need some updates!

In the meantime, we’d be pleased to answer any questions as you’re learning! It’s a valuable resource here :slight_smile:

The term “vaporware” has been replaced with the term “Brandonware”. The bandwagon has disbanded. Attacked and dispersed by an aggressive group of Indian mercenaries, intent on revealing the scurrilous impermanence of internet audio deals.

Ah ha. But Home Recording in 9 pages still exists.

You can find most of my formalized nonsense from RecordingReview days here: http://brandondrury.com/legacy-recordingreview-com-products/